Equipment is an important part of having a safe and enjoyable trip anywhere in Alaska, and particularly so in the remote places that you will be visiting on your float trip. Once the air taxi departs, resupply is no longer an option. Thinking through your clothing and gear choices is an important part of preparing for your float trip. Below you’ll find information on the equipment we provide and what you should plan to bring yourself. If you have any questions about equipment or need help selecting personal clothing or gear, don’t hesitate to ask, we’re more than happy to help ensure you have everything necessary for a safe, comfortable and enjoyable trip!
A few things to keep in mind:
– Fly-in trips are a logistical challenge due to the weight restrictions of the airplanes. You should plan on keeping your clothing and personal gear under 50 lbs. The airplane payload is a hard number, anything past the limit either has to be left behind, or another flight chartered to get it to the drop off.
– Hard-sided, wheeled luggage doesn’t play well with bush planes or rafts. Your clothing and personal items will be stored in waterproof dry bags while on the river. We can arrange to safely store your travel luggage while we’re out enjoying the river.
– It is critical that you bring good quality rain gear to keep you dry, as well as layers that will keep you warm even in the event that you do get wet. Synthetics such as fleece are good for this, as is wool. Leave the cotton at home. Wet cotton clothing when its 50 degrees and raining is a recipe for misery.
– Chest waders are going to be your best friend on your trip. They will keep you dry while wading, and when combined with a good rain jacket you’ll have excellent protection from the elements. Lightweight breathable waders are much more comfortable than neoprene, pack smaller, and are easier to get on and off. Hip boots are not recommended.
What We Provide:
- Rafts, and all associated safety equipment, including PFD’s
- Kitchen/Cooking Equipment
- Camp Chairs
- Dry Bags
- First Aid Equipment